The turbulent history of the Orangecanal (Oranjekanaal).
The canal runs over about 40 kilometers from Smilde tot Klazienaveen and was hand built from 1852 to 1860. Misfortune, personal accidents, collapsing of some parts, heavy sand instead of soft peat, low water level, no connection with the other waterways and other miseries made the construction of this canal an economic disaster. The owners never made money in their investment and even the transportation of peat from the bogs was not a success. Just after World War II, it became the property of Dutch government. At that point the waterway was blocked by bridges and dams so there was no longer any open connection.
Near the Oranjekanaal, when it rains on a small house, a gutter brings the water into the forest.
The gutter creates links between the house and the forest, plastic and water, art lovers
and ticks, artificial and natural.
Water is flowing.
Plastic (PVC), iron cable, a small house, water.
Installed in the forest next to the canal. This environment is part of the village Schoonoord, provincie Drenthe, The Netherlands.
Thanks to: Peter Vos, Trineke Bierenbroodspot, Ceres David, Gerda Tijmes, Lukas Tijmes, Staatsbosbeheer, Adri de Fluiter.